PDA Member Projects
Ave Maria University, Naples, FL - Prestigious new Catholic university located in Southwest Florida.
General Contractor: Suffolk/Kraft, Naples, FL ; Architect: Cannon Design, Grand Island, New York
Coating Formulator and Supplier: Decosup, Inc., Miami, FL
Polyaspartic and Aliphatic Isocyanate Material Supplier: Bayer MaterialScience, Pittsburgh, PA
Owner required decorative concrete upgrades with a durable, fast curing topcoat in high traffic areas.
Project size and duration: Approximately 70,000 ft² applied over cured concrete.
Grinding and Staining Process:
- Concrete needed ground, polished, and repaired as per specification
- Diamond grinder used for large areas prepared the surface to a 100 grit finish
- Hand grinders were employed at floor/wall interface for consistency of surface appearance
- Relief joints were cut and then vacuumed to remove loose debris
- Prior to staining, the whole floor was power washed with floor scrubber and then hand mopped
- ChemTone stain applied using simple one component tank sprayer
- After a predetermined time, the acid stain is removed and the floor is washed and neutralized
Application of Polyaspartic Sealer and Topcoat:
- Due to time constraints and the desire by the owner for a high-build, light stable topcoat, a polyaspartic based coating was specified
- Project was bid and Decosup was awarded the project
- ChemTone concrete acid stain
- Decoshine polyaspartic sealer/topcoat
- Additional selling points for the owner were
- Humidity insensitivity on final properties
- Zero VOC
- Self priming eliminates an extra step/coat
- Ability to be buffed and waxed in the future
Site Challenges & Unforseen Issues:
- Initial small 5,000 ft² test area – incomplete removal of acid from stain in joints, caused opaque coating on joints.
- Required development of additional application procedures related to acid removal.
- Typical South Florida environment meant high humidity and temperatures.
- Active construction site meant the coating project could not impede worker access for long periods of time.
- Other trades needed to be able to re-enter the area soon after coating process was finished.
- Works completed on schedule and with minimal disruption of other services.
- Client has specified the system in multiple other areas at the facitity.
- University was opened in 2007 for the first classes and has been holding up beautifully.
Ave Maria University
Back to Project Index